This statement applies to science, design and technology, information and communication technology, art and design, and physical education.
When working with tools, equipment and materials, in practical activities and in different environments, including those that are unfamiliar, pupils should be taught:
- About hazards, risks and risk control.
- To recognise hazards, assess consequent risks and take steps to control the risks to themselves and others.
- To use the information to assess the immediate and cumulative risks.
- To manage their environment to ensure the health and safety of themselves and others.
- To explain the steps they take to control risks.